JS-Kit/Echo comments for article at http://smallestminority.blogspot.com/2008/04/bathroom-cleansers-cause-suicide.html (10 comments)

  Tentative mapping of comments to original article, corrections solicited.

jsid-1209097213-591352  MFH0 at Fri, 25 Apr 2008 04:20:13 +0000

That's odd. It's not that hard to make a homemade clinical mask like they use at a dentist's office. Laughing gas, a nap in a chair, and never removing it supposedly is one of the most humane ways to go.

...or was that helium?

I don't know, but looking at available suicide methods, I personally wouldn't put the gun at the top of my list. If you slit your wrists/forearms and screw up or something, the worst that happens is maybe very minute paralysis, numbness, and some scars (at least I think so). If you mess up killing yourself with a firearm, you'll be a vegetable or missing large portions of your anatomy (I'm reminded of those stories of people who have survived the handgun-in-the-mouth thing).

Selfish little bastards, though. If you decide to take your own life, you do not risk the lives of others.

jsid-1209113292-591356  FabioC. at Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:48:12 +0000

Probably the bathroom cleaner provided the acid for the synthesis of H2S. Well, better not to speculate too much.

Interestingly, according to last year's survey, in Italy there are some 10 million registered firearms in the hands of private citizens. True, many gunners own more than one piece. Yet, our suicide rates are among the lowest.

jsid-1209121164-591358  Brett Bellmore at Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:59:24 +0000

Inhalation of any inert gas is probably the easiest way to go: Your lungs efficiently transfer oxygen out of your blood, if it's not in the air you breathe; A couple breaths, you lose consciousness, a few more, your metabolism shuts down. It's so quick that people who accidently walk into oxygen free rooms just drop in their tracks, without a chance to turn around.

Hydrogen sulfide, on the other hand, I imaging that's unpleasant in the extreme. But I suppose for some people committing suicide, that's the point.

jsid-1209127159-591360  Guest (anonymous) at Fri, 25 Apr 2008 12:39:19 +0000

dont ban them. raise your kids right, for christs sake!!!!

jsid-1209135335-591372  Unix-Jedi at Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:55:35 +0000

Hydrogen sulfide, on the other hand, I imaging that's unpleasant in the extreme.

At a high enough concentration, Hydrogen Sulfide knocks you cold before you know better.

Sherman! Set the WABAC machine! ...

Back in college, they warned us about this a great deal - in our area of organic chem, there was a great deal of HS produced, and industrial accidents had claimed the lives of a number of people in the line of work we were in. At a certain concentration, you just get knocked out cold - and suffocate, unless somebody gets you to safety. (Hopefully, they donned an O2 mask before trying to rescue you... The worst stories were of up to 5 guys going to to see what had happened to the others, and passing out themselves.)

It's not that hard to make a homemade clinical mask like they use at a dentist's office. Laughing gas, a nap in a chair, and never removing it supposedly is one of the most humane ways to go.

Sadly, I know a bit about this. Good friend of mine did himself in this way. Big canister of Nitrous Oxide, put a big mylar bag over his head and shoulders, and turned the tank on. The Nitrous knocks you out, then your exhalations increase the CO2 and reduce the O2 until you're dead.


jsid-1209136893-591374  Mike at Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:21:33 +0000

A very quick search on google turned up this:

“Traditionally” Japanese suicide with been done in the past couple of decades with carbon monoxide–poisoning with leaving a small, burning, charcoal grill in a confined space or commonly inside a rented automobile. ”

Notice that the previous fad was to rent an automobile then kill yourself in it.

Holy crap! How’d you like to be a rent-a-car worker in Japan? Ugh! Always having to clean up after people off themselves in your car. I bet you never get that smell all the way out. How frikin’ inconsiderate!

jsid-1209147705-591382  DirtCrashr at Fri, 25 Apr 2008 18:21:45 +0000

Friend of mine lived in a Co-Op Dorm in College which had student-run, rotating cleaning-chores. They had to carefully instruct the Stoodents not to mix bleach with ammonia in the big bucket as a twofer shortcut to moping out the bathroom...

jsid-1209156710-591388  Will at Fri, 25 Apr 2008 20:51:50 +0000

Depending on the time of year, and length of time the body remains in the car before discovery, determines the disposition of said car.
Many years ago, a homeless person climbed into an unlocked car parked at my father's service station. Died before the next morning, they figure. Middle of the summer, near Philly. At least a day, maybe two, before someone noticed. The cop that opened the door instantly heaved his guts. They couldn't get the smell out, even with the interior removed. Car was scrapped.

jsid-1209203972-591406  Mark at Sat, 26 Apr 2008 09:59:32 +0000


Ammonia and bleach, products resulting from the mixing thereof, is also pretty common at Marine barracks. Most only do it once, after learning the results.
I won't tell you know I know this....

jsid-1209473190-591462  GrumpyOldFart at Tue, 29 Apr 2008 12:46:30 +0000

I made that mistake once. I had heard about that one years before, but I was cleaning a shower stall with clorox, not realizing the sponge I was using had been used for ammonia earlier in the day. Hardly any ammonia left in it, but then again, I was in an enclosed shower stall, too. And bathroom ventilation is NEVER good enough.
It was over a day before my lungs stopped hurting.

 Note: All avatars and any images or other media embedded in comments were hosted on the JS-Kit website and have been lost; references to haloscan comments have been partially automatically remapped, but accuracy is not guaranteed and corrections are solicited.
 If you notice any problems with this page or wish to have your home page link updated, please contact John Hardin <jhardin@impsec.org>